"The literary equivalent of an acid trip." -jedi_raptor07

Saturday, February 11, 2006

The Show and Sharpies

This is going to be interesting. I'm actually gonig to have a point to my post. Let's see how it truns out...

The show. Honk!, Jr. 'Twas cancelled...sort of. Early today I got a phone call from our director saying "Honk!'s performances for tonight and tomorrow are cancelled, but the one at 2 is still on." Nobody was expressing deep feelings of sadness towards the cancellation, but I suspet they will tomorrow when they all realize that it actually is over. I'm sad, if you couldn't tell, because we only had 4 out of the 7 scheduled performances, and I was sick for two/three of them. :-(

Anyyaw, today's show was our final closing matinee. It went great, but there were some slip ups here and there (as usual). Overall, I think it was a good note to end on. At the end, I saw that some of my friends had actually come to the performance. They said they liked it, which is a good thing. Whether or not they actually enjoyed it is another matter entirely. After a while, we got to...clean up. Oh, joy. Luckily, my character has no props so I did virtually nothing (Haha to everyone else in the show that did a bunch with all their props! :-P).

So, that was the show.

The craziest thing happened today. Now, before I start I must make it clear that our cast is a very strange group. We had decided earlier to create a mascot. Keeping with the theme of the show, our mascot was a duckling. Nobody seemed to have a duck plushie, or any other sort of duck figure. So, in leu of anything relatively resembling a duck, we used a yellow sharpie. Yellow markers, we decided, are virtually useless for anything other than being mascots, since they don't show up very well on any sort of paper or fabric. We used another sharpie to draw a bill and two eyes on the yellow one. Our mascot made us proud. Now, it is customary at the Cultural Centre (where the musical was held) to have bumper car battles with the wheely chairs in the green room, and get yelled at for it. Today, I was the one doing the "Tsk!"-ing. I might as well have held a flea circus using velociraptors, for all the mind the bumper car-ers paid me. It just so happened, that at the moment of greatist collision force, our mascot (or as we had fondly nicknamed him, "Aesthetically Challenged") rolled off his perch on a nearby table, and into the path of the wheely chairs. Poor AC never knew what hit him. JB and Joah, the ones on the chairs, did. What hit them was yellow ink sprayed at an upward angle from under the wheels of JB's chair. There was no sympathy for the boys. They were, afterall, murderers of our most beloved icon. Luckily for them, they were not yet in their costumes, and the stain was in their street clothes. Their skin, however, was a different story. Shannon (Ida, for those of you who saw the show) tried as best she could to cover it up with foundation. I don't think anyone in the audiece noticed. In a twisted sort of way, AC's uselessness for coloring (the attribute that made him a mascot) is what saved his murderers from humiliation. For anyone touched by this story, there will be a eulogy held for Aesthetically Challenged on the 17th. Please try to attend.

6 Comments:

Comments Blogger Tim said...

That's really wierd... in a funny way!

9:06 PM, February 11, 2006

 
Comments Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should seriously get a tony Jeff! i almost cried when you told Maeve, i mean Penny, "you're the most beautiful thing i've ever seen." Hi maeve!!! great job!!!

9:38 AM, February 12, 2006

 
Comments Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY! that entry was like the second blog entry EVER to make me laugh out loud.

10:21 AM, February 12, 2006

 
Comments Blogger Unknown said...

You have to let me know about AC's eulogy. Great job in Honk! I am going to miss it. T^T But I'll try not to be sad. I finally cheered up, and then I watched West Side Story (for the first time) and cried. Haha, yes Maeve, you would make a good "girl that thinks she is a touch guy"!! *wink*

9:46 PM, February 12, 2006

 
Comments Blogger Sam Austin said...

that is so sad.

omg omg im like totally crying.

7:31 AM, February 13, 2006

 
Comments Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, poor ac

4:05 PM, February 13, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home